Sunday, August 24, 2008

Bye Fay!

Tropical Storm Fay has moved on, after dropping over 20 inches of rain on our part of Leon County. All in all, it was much ado about nothing.

They closed schools on Friday, which stunned me. I don't use that term lightly... I was seriously shocked. I got the call about 2pm on Thursday, and immediately walked back to my office to look at the forecast again. After all, there was no way they were looking at the same reports I was. I was seeing a forecast for minor wind and some rain, nothing all that urgent.

Sure enough, schools were closed, and it sprinkled all day Friday. With a breeze. Sure am glad we kept the kids safe at home for that, they might have gotten wet. Oh, well. I can only imagine the weight of responsibility for all those kids, but I wonder about teaching our kids to be afraid of some wind and rain.

Saturday was a bit more windy, and it rained solid all day, but once again, not all that big a deal. Some folks disagree, and there was some flooding in some areas around here, and I'm sorry about that, but it could have been much worse.

I'm thrilled that our current house doesn't have any drainage/flooding problems, and it got tested pretty well with 20 inches in about 30 hours. I can't help but wonder if our old house flooded. I hope not, but I'm glad that I don't own it anymore.

Take care, all!

No comments: