Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Back to Normal, Sorta

After Fay had moved on, Tallahassee tried to get back to normal yesterday.

We got up and moving at the usual time, getting the kids ready for school. Dressed, fed, washed, etc. All the while, I was thinking that it seemed kinda dark out. Sure enough, ten minutes before it was time to go out the door, the sky opened up and it started to pour. Add in thunder and lighting, and it was a generally unpleasant morning.

Chase asked me, "Daddy, is school going to be open today?"

"Sure it will."

"Well... it was raining on Friday and that closed school."

All I could do was chuckle and tell her that I was sure school would be open. I know she didn't realize it at the time, but she had just nailed why they shouldn't have closed school on Friday. After all, it was just a rainstorm, especially on Friday. Granted, by Saturday afternoon the sustained rain had started causing issues in low lying areas. But that was Saturday.

So between the Monday morning rain, continued flooding from Fay, the first day of Fall semester at FSU and FAMU, and did I mention the rain (Tallahassee drivers cannot drive in wet weather), it took me over 90 minutes to make my 20 minute commute. It was truly a perfect blend of awful.

Things today have evened out back to near normal. There are still roads closed due to damage from storm water, and we are all hoping that everything will get fixed as soon as possible.

No comments: